This week I have been working on the electrical systems. I have made solid progress. I received the audio amplifier in individual components so I had to solder and assemble it. You can see the before and after pictures on the right.
So far I have mounted the power bus bars, the switch, cooling fan, 24-12v Converter, 12v-5v converter, fuse holder, and the audio amplifier. Ben and I tested the audio amplifier and it worked flawlessly as you can see in the video below. Everything has been going smoothly. No major problems so far.
I have been trying to make the mounts so there is minimal stress placed on the wires while also keeping it compact. I have also focused on the aesthetics and keeping it as organized as possible.
You can also see the blue 4" idler wheels with ball bearings on the right.
I also went to NPC robotics over in Shorewood and got the 1 kW motors. They weigh about 10 lbs each and rotate at 3500 rpm, which means with a 5.4:1 gear reduction system, the robot will have a top speed around 10.5 mph. That's flying! Also, they should also be able to provide plenty of torque to pull a person. But, there is a problem, SurplusCenter is out of stock for 10T 35P sprockets with a 1/2" bore (this would give me a 5.4:1 ratio). They have an 11T 35P sprocket (this would give me a 5:1 ratio). Although this would give me approximately one more mile per hour, it would also decrease the torque output. You can see images of the compared specs on the right.