As were closing in on the deadline, things are getting more stressful as expected. I'm working as fast as I can to have a complete robot done by the fair, but I am not sparing quality to just get it done.
Since the last posting, I have
- mounted the aluminum shell that keeps all the electrical components dry. I decided to go with a single piece so I wouldn't have to worry about installing rubber seams and its a lot more aesthetically pleasing. There is no possible way water can enter the electronics "compartment" from the top now.
- installed the Logitech C920 camera on a pan/tilt bracket from ServoCity and then mounted that on the shell. I removed the bracket from the camera, which got rid of about 1/2 pound of unneeded weight. I also sealed the camera with silicon and sprayed a hydrophobic compound called Neverwet. I cant say that I'm pleased with the results. It does repel water, but it leaves an awful chalky white/blue coating that is very unappealing
- welded diagonal support to prevent tracks support from getting bent upward
- welded and assembled the rear section. That rear assembly is mounted on a hinge to prevent easy access for removing batteries
- mounted the antenna. Turns out the actual antenna just screwed in to that circular magnetic base so that really simplified things in terms of figuring out how to mount.
- wrapped track (I'll talk more about this in the next post)
- installed the track tensioners
- tested and analyzed the turn rate of the track (more in next post)
- took protective covering off the Lexan so now there is a nice clear surface. It looks awesome!